Trying out twining at City Lit last Sunday using rush.
Monday, February 17, 2014
City Lit Basketry Taster February 2014 by stitchworks-jackie on Photosynth
Last Sunday I went to a taster course at the City Lit. College in London. We learned how to make a diagonal weave basket out of newspaper. I must tell any of you who have never tried this process that it is much harder than it looks. I felt a sort of panic that I would be the only one to fail to make a basket until the tutor, Annemarie O'Sullivan, assured me that there was nothing wrong with my weave, it only needed tightening; this involves tugging quite hard on the strips of paper, and something one would certainly not do without the tutor showing you how. The baskets are surprising strong. So a process that is nice when its finished!
Next Sunday we try twineing.
City Lit Basketry Taster by stitchworks-jackie on Photosynth
If you click on the circles in the left hand corner you will get a larger image.
In the ipad use two fingers to zoom in and out.
Monday, February 10, 2014
Next Saturday I will be leading a workshop with a group of local calligraphers and we will be making decorative papers.
I have needed to practise some of the processes which can get a little boring; the workshop is called ‘Paper Play’ and repeating things is no longer play, so I decided just to play and made a brown paper piece which I then machined to newspaper.
I wetted the newspaper and rubbed it away in places before adding some paint. I then ironed the whole onto a piece of grey interfacing. I thought I would try ironing on some foil which I presumed would stick where the interfacing was peeping through.
You can see that the foil attached where the little dots of glue are on the interfacing, so I was pleased. Did you think I had painted all those dots individually? So play was resumed.
Sunday, February 02, 2014
Recently I went through my favourites list of blogs, and looked at some that I had neglected for a time; I found Leah Day's ‘Earth Flower’ motif and as usual impressed by her skill I had to have a go. The idea sort of hung around for a while and then I saw a piece of rusted fabric hanging on the ‘line’ in my room and thought nothing would be lost by quilting the motif onto it.
Before adding hand stitching and more details.
I got quite hooked and actually have found more pleasure in working on this little piece than I have done for a while.
I am going to seed stitch all around the motifs and then make it into a front for a cushion using an off cream silk dupion.