Monday, April 08, 2013

Mini Amigurumi


No, I have not been learning Japanese, well only two words that is; Emma kindly told me the word for fish printing, which is Gyotaku (You Tube video here) , and Amigurumi.
 I looked up the definition of Amigurumi in Wikipedia:

'Crocheted or knitted stuffed toy is the Japanese art of knitting or crocheting small stuffed animals and anthropomorphic creatures. The word is derived from a combination of the Japanese words ami, meaning crocheted or knitted, and nuigurumi, meaning stuffed doll.[1] Amigurumi are typically animals, but can include artistic renderings or inanimate objects endowed with anthropomorphic features,[2] as is typical in Japanese culture.'

Apparently these toys have no particular use but are simply made for their cuteness. I was offered a copy of ‘Mini Amigurumi’ written by Sara Scales (follow the link to Amazon). Now although it is many years since I did any crochet, and that consisted of a shawl for me and a friend, when such things became fashionable, I do work in a Day Centre where crochet is extremely popular.  When I took the book in it was literally pounced upon, so much so that it was taken to other groups where enthusiasts tried out the patterns and wrote out their comments for me. Here is some of their feedback:

‘It is easier to identify the animals, for instance the pig, than in some similar books.’
‘The idea for using the creatures stimulates your own ideas, for instance adding bells, putting in rattles, adding to headbands.’
‘Lovely, bright colourful inviting designs!’
One lady commented, ‘I made all the components for the butterfly in under two hours –really good, with bite size timings.’ She also said that she prefers the ‘ring’ method of starting as she thinks this gives a neater finish.
 I have just done the frog, brilliant!’ ‘I would prefer if the patterns used a magic circle instead of chain 2 to start in the round. '
‘Really love the designs.’



 At  present the book  has disappeared into the home of an avid crocheter. Now I can resist these creatures as I can printed fish, but I know both give a lot of people great pleasure.


1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, little crochet animals aren't my thing either tho they're very sweet ;) I quite fancy slapping a tree with a painted fish tho!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always much appreciated. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...