Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Book Binding

At last I think that I have understood Coptic Bind, this has taken some time ,not through lack of studying Keith Smith’s intricate and sometimes confusing diagrams – his books are fascinating but I think it is one of those things that is hard to explain other than by hands on teaching.
The break through came when I decided I was so dissatisfied with my last attempt that I took it out and redid it twice – practise definitely makes better if not perfect.I added a paper spine which I think makes the book handle better, without the gap between pages.
I also used a lot of beeswax on my thread which helps. Now I can go on to try one of the eight or so versions he has of this bind, or perhaps I’ll just stick to the basics. Even if it isn’t perfect I can now say that I understand what I am doing.

If you are interested in a custom made sewing cradle, so useful, you can contact DBO on Flickr; see my links list.

'As Fernando fled his right hand laid hold upon the long flowing robes of his opponent'.

3 comments:

  1. I love handbound books and always fall in love again when I come across another beautiful example such as yours. I have been hanging on to a few volumes that are falling apart in hopes of rebinding them someday myself. I'm glad to know that practice makes perfect so I won't give up the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hand made books too. What are you going to use this one for? An altered book or art journal?

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed you were able to do coptic without actual instruction, it seems impossible to be able to describe without actions!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always much appreciated. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...