Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Using leaves



This is a post for Things Handmade who asked about possibly including pressed leaves and petals in a quilt. This little box was made some years ago, after I recieved some fabric flowers as part of a Christmas present and was sort of challenged to do something creative with them. The box is made of vylene and the leaves and a variety of fibres, flax, silk ,etc were added using Super Mend powder. I then free machined everything in place. At the same time I made a hanging for Poetry in Action which was hung in a number of public places, hospitals and such. I don't have it now but blogged about it here , March 2006.
Its fun to do and certainly lasts a few years with no deterioration; obviously not heirloom material.



Another method is to place petals and leaves between two pieces of bondaweb (taken off its backing) and sandwich between a piece of paper or material, with a sheer on top. Iron carefully,i.e protect your iron with greaseproof paper or similar.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post, I have been full of cold this week and have only just made it to the computer! As with lots of creative people I love the autumn leaves and wonder how to keep them. I think a wall ahnging with the leaves on would look great but I must not get distracetd from my list of things to do at the moment. ( that is my mantra at the moment!) I will store this idea in my head and one day it will pop into reality. thanks again for the post.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always much appreciated. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...